Friday, August 19, 2016

No 'Manning up" for Lochte

Lochte finally admitted, "kind of" that he and his teammates lied last week.

http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/ryan-lochte-calls-incident-traumatic-in-public-apology-to-brazil-olympics/
It's traumatic to be out late with your friends in a foreign country -- with a language barrier -- and have a stranger point a gun at you and demand money to let you leave, but regardless of the behavior of anyone else that night, I should have been much more responsible in how I handled myself and for that I am sorry to my teammates, my fans, my fellow competitors, my sponsors, and the hosts of this great event. I am very proud to represent my country in Olympic competition and this was a situation that could and should have been avoided. I accept responsibility for my role in this happening and have learned some valuable lessons.
 The bold above is mine, but it just points out  that Lochte really thinks he was justified in doing what he did. You note he doesn't mention the destruction these 4 drunken representatives of the US did to the gas station, no... a "stranger points a gun at you and demands money to let you leave."

By stating that the experience was "traumatic" makes me think he was trying to cop a "post-traumatic-stress-disorder" for lying.

Well - no dice.  You weren't a soldier facing months of uncertainty whether or not you would live or die at the hands of people you thought were allies, or innocuous boxes or other items that turn out to be booby-trapped bombs.

This "stranger" wouldn't have put a gun to your head if you hadn't broken in a bathroom door and urinated on the exterior of the premises, which one hopes you wouldn't have done if you hadn't been drunk.

These aren't 18-year-old kids, these are grown men, and their behavior is a true embarrassment to the United States.  (And even if they were 18-years-old, that's still no excuse for getting drunk. Enjoy your alcohol by all means, but never drink to excess, as bad things invariably happen.)

And in any event, why even say anything? Be decently ashamed of what you did, say nothing to anyone and just go home. I would have assumed all 4 drunken swimmers would have just preferred to forget the whole thing rather than draw attention to it by seeking out the media to tell them what had "happened."

No comments:

Post a Comment